Hello and welcome to episode 105. It's great to finally be seeing signs that winter is behind us, I love the spring it's probably my favourite time of the year!
There have been quite a lot of interesting articles about LinkedIn this week so the news segment is somewhat longer than normal.
The articles I cover are;
- The LinkedIn faith debate
- Bikinigate and the profile of Candice Galek
- Virgin flights will now have Lynda
- This designer has come up with an interesting new design for the LinkedIn app
I also mentioned about the changes to LinkedIn contacts and how the "How you met" feature has been moved into the notes section.
LinkedIn are about to release a completely new look design to their settings page, it's clearly taking its design from the mobile app.
LinkedIn's To Do List
This week linkedIn's most popular feature ‘who viewed my profile’ broke down and at the time of recording it hasn't been fixed. I'm sure this feature will be fixed very soon but it got me thinking about all those areas and features of LinkedIn that have been left broken.
It strikes me that LinkedIn are very keen to keep introducing lots of new 'shiny' features but perhaps they ought to draw a line in the sand and fix or completely remove these broken features before adding anything new.
Here is my list of things that LinkedIn need to fix;
- Remove the redundant ‘subject’ box in connection messages (when sent from their profile).
- Followers should be listed separately to first tier connections.
- Followers need a label to show their level of connection (2nd, 3rd, group etc).
- Add links to 'send InMail' and 'follow' to the list of followers.
- Display the customised message in received invitations on desktop when hovering over the invitations icon.
- Display connection level for fellow group members.
- Develop an algorithm to remove quiz like status updates.
- Allow keyword search of group members (in the group).
- Remove more fake profiles.
- Add a ‘select all’ function to messages.
- Improve the ‘Jobs that might interest you’ algorithm.
- Add a link to the profile of the person being introduced in the introduction message.
- Fix ‘who’s viewed your profile’. (this did get fixed the day after recording!)
- Fix the NOT command in advanced search.
- Phrases surrounded by “ “ in advanced search should give only results of that exact phrase, Not words within that phrase.
- Show the chosen qualities that are selected in the recommendation itself, or just delete the questions.
- Synchronise notifications between the mobile app and desktop versions.
- Synchronise the home page feed between mobile and desktop.
- Add a sent folder for messages.
This week's cool thing is a Gmail plug-in that is owned by LinkedIn called Rapportive.
This will show you information about the person who has emailed you from their LinkedIn profile and provides a link to view their profile.
Thank you so much for listening. I value your support and interest.
Help me to promote the podcast
It can be difficult to get noticed in iTunes and one thing that can really make a difference is reviews. If you enjoy the show please take a minute to write an honest review in iTunes, it would be most appreciated.
If you are not sure how to write an iTunes review I have made a short video demonstrating how this is done.